Sunday, September 28, 2014

Garden Planning & Brush Cutting

Garden layout for Spring 2015?
This afternoon I found a nice website online that helps with vegetable garden planning.  The site, Smart Gardener, allows you to define the space that you have available to plant, configure the size and shape of your garden beds, select plants, and then determine when and where to plant them.

I had made a list the other day of vegetables that we'd like to grow next spring.  I created a layout based on the measurements that I had taken at the beginning of the month, added my desired beds, and selected the plants that were on my list.  You can then configure how many plants you'll need, based on the size of your family, and then allow the site to lay out your garden configuration for you.  I played with it a bit, then rearranged the site's recommendation, into the layout show here.  Most of the site is free, but a few things, such as adding berries to your garden, require a fee.  I do have some berries in mind to grow, so I may look into the pay features later on.

The other small accomplishment for today was clearing out a bit of the front of the house.  Several years ago the main entrance to the house was changed.  A driveway and ramp was added to allow for wheelchair access to the main level of the building.  This second entrance became the one that most people used, and the area along the front of the house, including the double-door entrance, became overgrown.  I spent a half hour on my hands and knees with a pair of hand clippers cutting back the brush.  I didn't get as much finished as I had hoped, but I was able to clear out from in front of the utility boxes.
I found the utility pipes!
It's a bit overgrown.

No comments:

Post a Comment